Three weeks into the grand jury,
(Murders, random shootings and assaults),
She came in, 16 years old, pretty and poised,
A witness to her boyfriend’s robbery,
The school had lost power and
And they were walking to her house,
When he was jumped on and lost
His cell, debit card and shoes.
The prosecutor asked her
How long they had been together,
And she replied, two years, paused shyly,
And added, two months and 10 days.
And everyone laughed—
A magical moment amongst the urban grime.
In the same case, another witness
To a threat against the victim
By one of the robbers,
In a high school cafeteria,
Was an older, petite woman,
Working class by the look of her hands,
Dressed up as if for church.
The prosecutor asked her
What was she doing at the school,
And she reply, with dignity, I volunteer,
My two kids got high school diplomas there,
And I thought I should pay it back
By helping people like me
Who come in and feel lost.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment