Sunday, May 6, 2012

Blueberry Cake

A sale on blueberries
At the local supermarket
Made me overbuy and search
For ways to use them up. 

At the age of 62
I baked my first (Internet recipe)
Sour cream blueberry cake;
Came out ok, though a bit too sweet. 

Many years ago,
I was elected by my mother
To visit once a month
An old friend of hers in a nursing home. 

I didn’t mind—it was
A chance to leave the apartment,
Take tramways, smoke cigarettes,
And eat a blueberry cake Miss Zofia baked. 

She had curly gray hair,
And thick eyeglasses;
She never complained and
Was always happy to see me. 

When things got bad
And my family got ready to leave
I came to say “good bye”—
The cake didn’t taste that well. 

Miss Zofia was philosophical: 

“Here at the home they notice,
‘A Jewess’, ‘doesn’t go to church’,
There it would be a synagogue
And I’d be a communist.”



No comments: