Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fortuitous Poem from NYT Magazine Interview About Divorce, I

I thought he was hot—I liked his Robert Smith Hair and hipster clothes. He was intelligent, clever and deeply kind. He had all those creative pursuits that he was really engages in and pretty good at, but didn’t seem to have any illusions about being able to make a living doing them. He also has this absolutely infectious enthusiasm that can make the world seem like an almost magical place, and when we started dating, he got really enthusiastic about me. I felt calmed, like he smoothed out my rough edges, in a good way.

But some of those things begun to change even before we got married. He gained some weight and stopped paying as much attention to how he looked, and his creative output slowed dramatically. Instead, he begun spending most of his time playing video games and watching television.

No comments: