Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Dear Ms. K.

Browsing through
A poetry anthology
I came across a bio note
About you.

It said you came
From Kishiniev
And wrote poetry
In Russian and English.

Which is so weird
Because I love
Russian and English poetry
And used to travel to Kishiniev.

Once I even spent a night there
Boozing with a Russian poet
Whose poems were praised
By Brodsky himself.

Two pretty girls
Joined us that night
They both went with him
When they closed the restaurant.

I googled you
And you look very pretty;
Why didn't we meet
When I was in Kishiniev?

It also said that you
Divorced your husband
For not appreciating
Poetry enough.

Yesss! I thought,
It is you and me
Defending Pushkin and Auden
Against philistines like him.

But then it mentioned
The name of the poet
Your tiff was about--
And I have never heard of him.

So now I feel
Kind of small;
It might be better
If this letter remained unsent.

No comments: