Thursday, August 25, 2011

Rubber Band

The boys' name was Kuhl,
The tallest and smartest kid
In Mrs. Kowalczykowa's class,
Grade School No. 23 in Warsaw.

He showed me once
A rubber band with names
Of all the cool kids in the class.
Mine wasn't among them.

Everyone knew his father was a big shot--
In charge of all the state farms;
Later we learned it was a demotion
From Deputy Minister of State Security.

I met him, in my mind, several times
Somewhere on a Warsaw street;
He'd recall me with difficulty
And would have no memory of the rubber band.

I would want to know
What happened when he found out
What his father's job was
In the Ministry of State Security

He would say: I asked no questions
He was a wonderful father though I know
There were plenty of wonderful fathers
Rotting in prisons he had supervised.

And then he would say: let me ask you
The same question and the conversation
Still, in my mind, would fizzle out.

No comments: